Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ok, I'll get to finding my voice

So, I made this blog one night a long time a go from a simple name that I thought was catchy. Then I made the mistake of linking to it in the comment section of a blog I frequent. They linked to it, and I know they must be tired of me taking up space on their comment page, so now I figure it's time to find my voice...my purpose for writing a blog.

The tagline for this blog is "bridging democracy divides one post at a time." In the political time and place we find ourselves in, with a Doppler effect of (mis)information, distraction, bias and corporate branding noise screaming towards us, there's gotta' be a place for someone to focus us in on what's important.

I think another pundit is possible. One that is not beholden to corporate sponsorship, that asks the right questions and one that offers solutions. And I think I'm that pundit.

See, there's this historic race going on. Remember? It was historic. The two front runners of the front running party were confronting head on old, dominant narratives - like that only white men can be president. But somewhere folks got off track. We lost track of our goals. Our real problems. And, most importantly, who's responsible for solving our problems.

Race, class and gender disparities - what I call *democracy divides* exist. These disparities aren't about personal prejudice - that "we can't get along." They're not about individual "racists." These divides don't result from anecdotes about "race relations" or individual experiences of prejudice. They come from bad public policy. These divides are institutional. Structural.

The question is about how we bridge these divides, and support solutions inline with the needs, values and interests of poor, working and middle class families.

Bridging these divides starts with corrective solutions to disparities and democracy divides of race, class, gender and region...you know, progress.

Yet the vision of everyone with equal access to democracy, opportunity and economic and social justice will only be realized with big ideas, sacrifice and commitment.

Come back for analysis, punditry for the people, stories that confront dominant narratives and conventional wisdom in the service of justice, updates about all the stuff I'm all up in...and more, I'm sure.

1 comment:

marjorie said...

I think you're that pundit too!